My First 5K Race: A Success!

Screen Shot 2013-09-29 at 8.09.23 AM

Hello! I just had to share the details of the 5k I ran yesterday since I have been blogging about it here and there, not to mention my big playlist on Friday! Where do I start? Well, I was SO nervous. I had no idea if I could realistically even do this. I’ve only been running regularly since August 1st.

During the week, I stuck to really easy and pretty slow runs. I walked a bit and then would do maybe a mile or mile and a half of running. On Wednesday, I did not run. On Friday, my run was awful so I was extremely concerned for race day. On Friday night, I did a ton of stretching, drank a lot of water, and had sushi for dinner. I also picked up my race bib.

On Saturday morning, the day of the race, I got up at 6:30 (the race was at 8:30). I had eggs, an apple, and peanut butter for breakfast, drank half of a can of Monster Rehab Tea + Lemonade, and went about my usual morning routine. I showered because that is what really wakes me up in the morning. I even put a little bit of makeup- tinted moisturizer, mascara, and Anastasia brow wiz. Also, I moisturized with the Coola sunscreen from an earlier Ipsy bag. Getting ready definitely made me feel a little more confident.

When we got to the race, I started seeing all of these bonafide athletes and started freaking out. I had some serious anxiety that I was just a poser, couldn’t do it, and so on. My husband and golden retriever were there to see me off!

Then I was in the race…yikes! There was a girl running in front of me at about the same pace, so I just stuck with her. She was kind of my race metronome. I felt pretty good most of the race, but just before the two mile mark I started feeling like the two mile sign was NEVER going to show up. Then, I got to the last mile and kicked it up a notch, and eventually passed the girl I was following.

This very bizarre lady was really pissing me off during the race too. Every time I neared her, she turned around, looked at me, and started sprinting. Then, she stopped and walked until I got near her again. I finally got ahead of her in the end, after I saw my husband and dog about a quarter mile from the finish line. That gave me some extra motivation to keep going, knowing he was behind me and would be there at the end.

The last two tenths of a mile were brutal. I kept thinking “I can’t stop and walk now!”, but I was so dead tired! Then I saw the race clock and it said 35:54, and I was stunned; I seriously thought this would take me 40 to 45 minutes, and my actual time was 36:00:02.

I can’t believe that I did it! I ran the entire race and didn’t stop once, and I was pretty happy with my time for my first race! I placed 5th out of 8 in my age group. I’m not sure how I did overall since the results aren’t posted yet.

When it was all done, we got a cupcake and a medal. There was a small awards ceremony too, with some amazing people there. The fastest guy ran it in 18 minutes! Isn’t that amazing? I felt so happy seeing everyone get their awards, but the best part of the race was making my husband proud. 🙂

Now I need to focus on my October goals, but more on that later! THANK YOU for reading and for the words of encouragement along the way! 🙂

This entry was posted in Fitness Friday and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to My First 5K Race: A Success!

  1. satine89 says:

    OH MY!!! Congratulations, dear!!!!! YAY!!!

  2. Cathlene says:

    You go, girl! I’m very proud of you, I know how hard you’ve worked and it’s awesome to see you achieve your goal. Now I think you should find a Chicago 5k to do with yours truly! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s