Whether you’re going on a date or just want to spent a night out on the town for Valentine’s Day, you can’t go wrong with a classic red lip! This iconic look is always in style: it’s the little black dress of makeup. I used all drugstore products to get this red lip.
You’ll want to make sure your lips are exfoliated and smooth in order for your lipstick to stick, and to avoid any dry, patchy areas. If you don’t have a lip scrub, take a dry toothbrush and GENTLY rub in circles to exfoliate dry areas. You can also apply a lip balm after this step if you feel that your lips are dry; moisturized lips hold color better.
Next, apply lip liner all over your lips. This will help your lipstick to stay on longer, and prevent feathering into lip lines. I used NYX Hot Red lip pencil.
Next, I applied ELF’s Matte lipstick in Rich Red. I love these matte lipsticks! They are matte, but not overly drying. Blot the lips lightly with a tissue to avoid too much product packed on, OR give your hand a light kiss. I personally don’t like blotting with tissue, because sometimes it leaves residue. You can also blot with a washcloth or muslin cloth.
To add a bit of shine, I topped this red lip off with Revlon’s ColorBurst gloss in the shade Fire. This shade is a little warmer than Rich Red and Hot Red.
- Outlining the lips is an option instead of filling in the entire lip with liner, but make sure to double check. If your lipstick wears off, you don’t want to be left with a ring!
- Pop your thumb into your mouth and draw outward to remove excess product.
- Outline the outside of your lips with a nude pencil like the NYX Wonder Pencil if you want to make them really pop!
- Do not exfoliate your lips if they are sensitive. Just apply balm.
- Use clear gloss if you want something more versatile in your makeup arsenal!